Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Summer of George!

So I went on this awesome trip to San Diego, and probably should of blogged about it, but whatever. It had several highlights, that'll probably define my coolness factor for the rest of my life. Ie. Touring Disney studios, seeing a prerelease of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World", meeting all of my artistic influences in the flesh (Mike Mignola, John Nevarez, Chris Sanders, Stephen Silver, David Coleman, Joe Weatherly, Dean Yeagle, Jin Kim, and the awesome Glen Keane. I probably have missed some people, but I wrote down everything awesome I did in a little list in my sketchbook. I knew the euphoria would quickly overwhelm my memory). Oh, and I surfed!!! Radical.

The strange thing is that this amazing trip doesn't seem out of place in the awesome summer I've been having. Whether it's manifested from my own hard work, just pure luck, or maybe I've just become more open to the idea of cool things happening to me... a lot of really cool stuff has just fallen into my lap.

So now to the part where I justify making a post : How to train your Dragon

I've spent a long time waiting for cool things to come from this movie. In April I asked a theatre for their display, and spent 2 months calling everyday until finally I got my beautiful collectibles that now decorate my room.
In March I ordered the art of book for the movie, and now draw from it as often as I can. I've been very surprised how naturally drawing in Nicolas Marlet's style has come to me. Here are some COPIES from the book.


I've now started drawing the characters in my own posing, and hoping to maintain the look of the characters.


And a little something extra for myself. You always gotta draw that person you're drawing with.

No comments: